Medvědí kaple (The Bear Chapel)
forest chapel at Liščí · 19014, 340 22 Chudenín, Czech Republic
  • Story
  • Place

Under the Coat of the Night

Available in: English | Česky

After the formation of the Iron Curtain, one of the routes leading abroad was near to Medvědí kaple, (Bear Chapel). The transfers abroad were only at night when the refugees could hide themselves in the shadows of the woods or bushes and the possibility that the frontier guards see them was lower. At first the exiles came to the hamlet U Vítků and Václav Touš hid them in the barn and in the evening when it got dark he guided them through Hezvincký les, around Medvědí kaple and through the valley at Liščí to the border marker. From here the refugees continued to the German Jägershof on their own while Václav Touš went back.

Josef Touš

Josef Touš

Josef Touš was born November 9th, 1929. He comes from Pocinovice, where he lives to date. His life has revolved mainly around his native farm "U Vítků." The Touš family lived in a secluded area by a forest in a village near the border line. They used the advantageous location of their family farm for hiding refugees at the end of the war and also after 1948. His father Václav Touš guided refugees over the Iron Curtain to Germany. Josef Touš helped him, especially by arranging shelter and food for the refugees. The Touš family later began cooperating with agent-walker Alois Sutty. Many emigrants were passing through their estate to Germany, and it also became a hiding place for the incoming agent-walkers. The entire network was revealed in April 1950 in relation to a mission by major Rachač. The Touš family and Sutty were attested, and together with members of another group from Klatovy, who had been also been guiding people over the border, they were tried as an anti-state group of "MUDr. Krbec and Co." Josef Touš was sentenced to ten years in prison. He was imprisoned in Prague-Pankrác and in the Jáchymov region, where he worked in the Eliáš mines, Svatopluk, (near Slavkov), and Prokop. In 1955 he was released on parole. He refused to work in a local agricultural cooperative, which had unjustly taken over their farm. He was working in an agricultural machinery station; after its closing down he worked in forestry. Due to health problems, which were related to his work in the Jáchymov camps, he was receiving an invalidity pension. Then he worked in machine works in Kdyně until his retirement. At present he is the chairman of the local chapter of the Confederation of Political Prisoners in Domažlice.

Medvědí kaple (The Bear Chapel)

Available in: English | Česky

The Chapel of St. Bernard is situated in the forest near the vanished town Liščí. The chapel is called the Bear Chapel. Its name comes from the folk legend which says that at the end of the eighteenth century, Mr Kohlbec, a native of Liščí, let the chapel be built as thanks that he survived a bear attack. After 1948, the chapel got to the border area, ran to seed, and was renewed in 1992. After February 1948 it was a landmark for the border guides and couriers on the ways to Germany.

Medvědí kaple (The Bear Chapel)

On this place

Under the Coat of the Night

Under the Coat of the Night

Josef Touš
Memory of Nations Places Mobile App
Get the app for free in your mobile app store!